Life is as simple or as complicated as we would like to make it. However, there are only seven simple truths that govern our existence and being aware of these universal tenets lead to a fuller, meaningful and joyful existence.
- The laws of nature do not discriminate: The sun shines on the rich just as much as it shines on the poor; each one of us has twenty-four hours in a day; we are all affected by the tides, the seasons and the stars. Very few people consciously take charge of their lives, harness these laws and use them to their advantage, whilst the mass of men live a life of hapless surrender.
- You are more energy, less matter: Quantum physics has opened our eyes to the incredible realities of the sub-atomic world, and some of the facts are beyond belief; and yet, we are only just beginning to understand the true essence of this inner universe from a scientific viewpoint, a reality that has been known to sages and seers from time immemorial. The more awareness you develop about yourself as a field of energy, the less will be the effects of the drudgery and complexities of the gross material world around you.
- You will reap what you sow: This truth also relates to the law of reciprocation – action and equal reaction. Do good deeds and the universe has a subtle way of offering you the good in return. Expecting the reciprocation to occur from the same channel or instantaneously is a human failing, and one of the reasons this principle is often misunderstood. Think of your acts of charity and kindness as deposits in the ‘goodness bank’. The universe will provide you with the right amount of goodwill in your time of need, and the roads will open up for you, with help coming from the least expected quarters.
- If you can think it, you can create it: In the words of Emerson: “There’s nothing capricious in nature, and the implanting of a desire indicates that its gratification is in the constitution of the creature that feels it.” My debut travelogue Red Earth Diaries, and indeed my entire life is a validation of this simple and profound truth. The reason most people don’t get ahead in life is that they are afraid to heed to their calling or too afraid to even try. This truth also lays bare the fact that wherever your focus goes your energy flows – think less disempowering thoughts and dwell more on creating a beautiful life of your own. Cast aside your self-doubt and immerse yourself in activities that set your soul free.
- Truth, compassion and humility are the hallmarks of true greatness: Success – absolute and resounding success – is meaningless if you have achieved it without helping people along the way, making a positive impact on others, and basing it on the foundation of truth and integrity. To be truly successful as a human being one must adhere to the three essential qualities of truth, compassion and humility. The success that ensues is more permanent and rewarding; you will be loved, admired and respected not just for your transitory achievements but for the strength and nobility of your character.
- Death is the only predictable outcome in your life. Everything else is a stream of endless possibilities: Death is a given. Whether it is a natural passing after having lived a full life, or a sudden and untimely death, the final curtain call event is bound to catch up with each and every one of us. Everything else in between our birth and death is a possibility waiting to manifest. Your choice is your half-chance so don’t be afraid to take a few leaps of faith from time to time. Not making a choice is also a choice, although a passive one, and may produce outcomes that you don’t particularly fancy. So go chase your dreams and strive to be the best version of yourself. As Marcus Aurelius said, “It is not death that a man should fear, but he should fear never beginning to live.”
- You are an integral part of the universe and exist in the stream of unity: We have all originated from one single source, the same star stuff that exists in each and every element of the universe. This is no longer just spiritual talk but a well-known scientific fact. Our existence is interwoven into the very fabric of the cosmos and even our smallest acts have a ripple effect and reverberate across time and space. Being mindful of this always do good, be good and wish good for others. Also, do not doubt your divinity and do not place limits on your own capabilities. To do so is to cause grave injustice to the power that resides within you.